Upon arrival at this 1926 Pollard Company diner it was already closed for the day. Walking up the stairs to both entrances allowed a good look inside. We aren't sure if any cooking is still done behind the counter. As evidenced by the wear in the counter edge, many people have occupied the fifteen stools over the years.
We took a few pictures of the diner, one of only two Pollards remaining. Considering this it makes a comparison of the Palace a little more difficult. Diners may change over the years as they are sold, moved, renovated, or as new models and features are introduced.
Perhaps this diner was renovated over the years. As we are lead to question everything to the left of the counter. Seen in the picture to the right, the foot rest is covered in what looks to be large terracotta colored tiles. In the 1920's diners we've seen so far, there's a foot rail connecting the stools. We think the stool style is a little out of place.
The floor tile also raises questions about its originality. 1920's tile floors we've seen in O'Mahony, Tierney, and Worcester diners typically had the tiles laid in a honeycomb pattern with intricate mosaic borders. However, the pattern seen here we mentioned in our post about the Fish Tale Diner. The center square is a light green almost matching the wall tile. On the inside walls are square tiles rather than the rectangular as used on the front counter.
Kyle and Debbie Quinn purchased this diner in September 2004. The diner has limited morning hours and is closed on Sunday. It's currently listed for sale.
Previous stop Chubby's next is Rock 'n Roll.
18 Frankin St.